The Story-Rama workshop shares how to make a moving panorama called a “crankie” through the creation of a collaborative story. A crankie is an old storytelling art form. In the 19th century they were called “moving panoramas”. It is a long illustrated scroll that is wound onto two spools. The spools are loaded into a box which has a viewing screen. The scroll is hand-cranked while the story is told. It can be accompanied by a narrative, song or musical accompaniment.
The workshop invites collaboration, creativity and communication in a fun and friendly environment. Participants work in small groups exploring their common interests and learn how to structure a basic story. Producing the story in a panoramic format gives participants an exciting form to express themselves. Finally the story will be presented in a “crankie” box which will be made by the participants using recycled cardboard boxes.
- Creative expression through art and storytelling
- Solutions through collaboration
- Exploring synergies in a group
- Learn to explore alternatives
- Have fun with serendipity
Outline of the workshop
- Develop a story in small group.
- Create a Story-Rama – create scroll and build a crankie box.
- Presentation of Story-Rama with narration or music.
Get in touch to learn more about the workshop